About the Academy
Spotlighters Theatre's Young Actors Academy is a year round theatre education program offering training to youth in the Baltimore metro area through an academic and conservatory style approach. The program is designed and facilitated by instructors who work in K-12 schools, colleges/universities, and local, regional and LORT theatres. Our aim is to provide opportunities for serious young actors who want to have fun!
"I worked with dedicated professionals, students from different backgrounds, and learned so much in so many ways." —Former YAA student-actor
"It was evident that the staff at Spotlighters Young Actors Academy worked diligently in making [the] Academy the place where young actors will receive the acting skills and techniques needed to be successful." —Parent of YAA student
About the Position
This is a growth position: as the Academy continues to undergo significant growth (more than doubled enrollment over the last 4 years) the ideal candidate has the vision and drive to transition this position from part to full time. We are seeking someone who will be able to interface with local schools to engage more youth in our programs; and develop programs to increase arts & theatre education in schools themselves. This position jointly supervises (with the Executive Director) an hourly/part-time Education Administrative Coordinator who maintain rosters, and email lists of students & parents, school contacts, scheduling, etc.
- 8-12 hrs/week, September – June
- 40-45 hrs/week during summer program, July and August
- Marketing after-school and summer Academy to local schools (K-12)
- Recruiting and hiring after-school instructors, summer instructors and teaching assistants
- On site supervisor for summer (6 weeks, July - August, Mon - Fri, 9a-4p)
- Supervising and supporting instructor curriculum development year-round
- Developing expansion plan and programs to broaden program reach
- Making on-site visits to local schools (K-12)
- Researching and applying for relevant local grant funding
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher, in Theatre and/or Education and/or related studies
- Teaching experience, preferably teaching theatre
- Experience in directing and/or acting
- Detail oriented with ability to strategically develop and plan program expansion
- Strong written and verbal skills to create marketing and outreach materials
- Strong leadership and management skills to develop and supervise a team of instructors
- Experience with grant writing and/or fundraising (preferred)
- Minimum of $500/month September – June
- Minimum of $2,000/month for July and August (during Summer Academy)
Please submit a cover letter and resume outlining both theatrical and educational training, experience and skills. Submit materials for review by Executive Director and Education Advisory Board to Academy@spotlighters.org by January 30, 2015.
Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis, beginning in late January through the end of February. An offer will be made by March 2015.
FUZZ - James Roark
Executive Director - Managing/Artistic Director
817 Saint Paul Street
Baltimore, MD 21202