THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER
WHEN: Saturday, Aug 30, 3 – 6 PM
WHERE: Spotlighters Theatre, 817 Saint Paul Street - Baltimore, MD 21202
Performance dates: November 21 - December 21, 2014, Fri & Sat – 8 PM, Sun – 2 PM (Thur 12/11 - 8 PM)
Rehearsals: early September - tentative schedule Mon, Tue, Wed & Thur - 7-10 PM - final schedule once casting is complete.
- Be prepared to read sides with other actors (you may be asked to wait, to read with others)
- Be prepared to improv various scenes from the play
- Bring all rehearsal and performance conflicts to auditions.
- No appointments
- NON-Union / NON-Paid
Large cast show, with many roles doubled or tripled—16 actors playing 29 roles! Skill at creating multiple characters needed. Presented by arrangement with Dramatists Play Service.
- Mrs Daisy Stanley: female 40-60 y/o - Mr. Ernest W. Stanley’s wife. She constantly tries to placate her husband. She is a good hostess. Rarely speaks her own mind, unless she just has to!
- Mr Ernest W. Stanley: male 40-60 y/o - He is a wealthy factory owner. He tends to be stuffy. Very much the man of the house, whose word is the law - until ....
- Sheldon Whiteside: male, 40-60 y/o - An obnoxious, but famous, writer, critic and radio host. He is overbearing and demanding.
- Maggie Cutler: female 25-30 y/o - Maggie is Whiteside’s secretary. She has a businesslike demeanor. She does everything for him, and until now, he has totally monopolized her time. She falls in love with Bert Jefferson.
- Ms Preen: female 25-55 - Whiteside’s nurse. She tends to be stressed and unhappy. Strong comedic and sarcastic skills needed. Lots of physical comedy.
- Bert Jefferson: male 30-40 y/o - He owns the town newspaper. He is an easy going man, but can be assertive. He falls in love with Maggie, but is seduced by Lorraine!
- John: male, 45-60 y/o - the Stanley’s butler. He has been their butler for quite some time.
- Sara: female 45-60 y/o - is the Stanley’s housekeeper. She has worked with them for quite some time.
- Richard Stanley: male 18-22 y/o - Ernest and Daisy’s son. He is a photographer who yearns to travel.
- June Stanley: female, 16-20 y/o - Ernest and Daisy’s daughter. She is in love with Sandy, a labor organizer at her father’s factory.
- Lorraine Sheridan/Harriet Stanley/Neighbor Lady: female 25-30 y/o; strong character actor, must be able to create different characters on stage.
- Lorraine: female 25-30 - Lorraine is a movie star. She is trying to get married for money, so she is a bit of a gold digger. Very much a man magnet!
- Harriet: female 40-45 y/o - Harriet is Mr. Stanley's sister. She has a creepy personality. Character is based on Lizzie Borden, always wears a veil and dresses in black.
- - Neighbor Lady: female 45-55 - High Society friend of Daisy a local busy-body. Very frumpy and a fan of Sheldon Whiteside.
- Sandy/Dr. Bradley/Prof Metz/Detective: male 20-35 y/o; strong character actor, able to create very different characters.
- Sandy: male 20-25 - Youthful visionary, big & strong - a union organizer, trying to unionize Mr Stanley's factory, and in love with June, Stanley's daughter.
- Dr Bradley: male 45-55 - Dr. Bradley is the town doctor. He aspires to be a writer. (50-60 y/o)
- Prof Metz: male 45-55 - The professor is a nerdy entomologist, a friend of Whiteside, who drops in. (40-50 y/o)
- Detective: male 45-55 - Brings Richard and June back home after they try to run away. (40-50 y/o)
- Beverly Carlton/Prisoner1: male, 35-55 y/o
- Beverly Carlton: an actor, songwriter, and plays the piano. Character is based on Noel Coward. Over the top! Ego as big as a Buick!
- Prisoner 1: one of the three murderers Whiteside invited to dine at the Stanley's!
- Westcott/Prisoner2/Deputy1: male 30-50 y/o
- Westcott: the head radioman, handling Whiteside's live radio broadcast from the Stanley's living room.
- Prisoner 2: one of the three murderers White invited to dine at the Stanley's
- Deputy 1: one of the two Deputies that Stanley has called to remove Mr Whiteside.
- RadioMan/Prisoner3/Deputy2: male 30-50 y/o
- Radio Man: radio technician assisting with broadcast
- Prisoner3: one of the three murderers White invited to dine at the Stanley's
- Deputy 2: one of the two Deputies that Stanley has called to remove Mr Whiteside.
- Banjo/PrisonGuard: male 35-55 y/o; physical comedy for Banjo
- Banjo: a comedic actor in the style of Groucho Marx and Jimmy Durante, who drops in to visit Whiteside.
- Prison Guard: Guarding the three murderers that Whiteside invited to dine at the Stanley's