THE LAST 5 YEARS
By Jason Patrick Brown
Director: Fuzz Roark
Musical Director: Kevin Roland
Stage Manager: Jesse Doggett
WHEN: Saturday, Jan 12, 11 AM – 3 PM; Sunday, Jan 13, 6 PM –9 PM
WHERE: Spotlighters Theatre, 817 Saint Paul Street, Baltimore
No appointments, first come first heard.
Please arrive no less 30 minutes before end of auditions to allow time
for full audition.
Mar 1 - Mar 24, 2013, Fri, Sat at 8 PM, Sun at 2 PM, and one Thur, Mar 7, at 8 PM
- Prepare 18- 24 bars of up-tempo music from a Broadway show, in the style of Rent, Spring Awakening, Next to Normal, etc., and 18-24 bars of a Modern Broadway Ballad.
- DO NOT PREPARE ANY MUSIC FROM THE LAST FIVE YEARS.
- Bring sheet music in your key. No a capella auditions.
- Be prepared for cold readings from script, no prepared monologues please.
- Please bring your calendars, conflicts will be requested.
- Headshot and Resume appreciated.
- Rehearsals will begin Jan 22, 2013. Typical schedule will be Mon, Tue, Wed, and Thur – 7 PM – 10 PM
This show will be double cast; we will cast two Jamies and two Cathys. Everyone will perform 6 of the 12 shows, and will be paired with both other partners—that is, if cast as Jamie, you will perform opposite one Cathy in 3 performances, and opposite the other Cathy in the other 3 performances, and similarly for Cathys. (We will determine performance schedules later in the process.) Also, contrary to standard settings of the show, we will often have all actors on stage at the same time, even when they are not singing. This means that actors will have to act silently for minutes at a stretch, reacting to the character with the solo. We will be looking for this during auditions. The actors must have stamina and presence. There is no choreography, but the actors must have poise on stage, an understanding of movement, and be able to hit their marks.
List of characters (ages are not physical age but what can be portrayed)
- Jamie - male, 25-30 y/o; Vocal Range: Strong Tenor - A2 to Bb4
A Jewish novelist from upper-middle-class suburban New York. Smart, complicated; neither macho nor nerdy but a cocky romantic.
Musically, James Taylor meets Elvis Costello meets Stephen Sondheim meets Steely Dan.
- Catherine - female, 25-30 y/o; Vocal Range: Mezzo/Belter - F3 to D#5
An Irish-Catholic actress from a hard-luck shore town in eastern Virginia.
Smart but insecure; fiercely loyal and ardently committed but distrustful of her talent and her beauty.
Musically, Sheryl Crow meets Joan Baez meets Kelly Clarkson.
NON-Paid / NON-Union