Comic professionals came together Saturday night, August 20, 2011 to honor their peers during the presentation of the 2011 Harvey Awards, sponsored by DC Comics, comiXology, Insight Studios, IDW and Painted Visions Comics, Cards & Games. The banquet to honor those nominated and the winners in more than 20 categories was hosted by the Baltimore Comic-Con and Cards, Comics & Collectibles.
Named in honor of Harvey Kurtzman, the Harvey Awards recognize outstanding achievement in the field of comics and is the only industry award both nominated and selected by comic professionals. First awarded in 1988, it is one of the industry's oldest and most respected awards.
Scott Kurtz, who is best known for his webstrip, PvP, served as Master of Ceremonies for the third year in a row, bringing his great sense of humor and charisma to the stage.
Special thanks go to the sponsors who generously donated to the 2011 Harvey Gift Bags, including Abrams Books; Adhouse Books; BOOM! Studios; DC Comics; IDW; Lasermach; Legendary Comics; Top Cow and Popfun Merchandising.
This year's winners include:
- Best Letterer: John Workman, Thor, Marvel Comics
- Best Colorist: Jose Villarrubia, Cuba: My Revolution, Vertigo/DC Comics
- Best Syndicated Strip or Panel: Doonesbury, Gary Trudeau, Universal Press Syndicate
- Best Online Comics Work: Hark! A Vagrant, Kate Beaton, http://harkvagrant.com/
- Best American Edition of Foreign Material: Blacksad, Juan Diaz Canales and Juanjo Guarnido, Dark Horse Comics
- Best Inker: Mark Morales, Thor, Marvel Comics
- Best New Series: American Vampire, Scott Snyder, Stephen King and Rafeal Albuquerque, Vertigo/DC Comics
- Most Promising New Talent: Chris Samnee, Thor: The Mighty Avenger, Marvel Comics
- Special Award for Humor in Comics: Roger Langridge, The Muppet Show, BOOM! Studios
- Best Original Graphic Publication for Younger Readers: Tiny Titans, Art Baltazar and Franko Aureliana, DC Comics
- Best Graphic Album Previously Published: Beasts of Burden, Even Dornkin and Jill Thompson
- Best Anthology: Popgun #4, edited by DJ Kirkbride, Anthony Wu and Adam P. Knave, Image Comics
- Best Domestic Reprint Project: Dave Steven's The Rocketeer: Artists Edition, design by Randall Dahlk and edited by Scott Dunbier, IDW
- Best Cover Artist: Mike Minola, Hellboy, Dark Horse Comics
- Best Biographical, Historical or Journalistic Presentation: The Art of Jaime Hernandez: The Secrets of Life and Death, Todd Hignite, Abrams ComicArts
- Special Award for Excellence in Presentation: Dave Steven's The Rocketeer: Artists Edition, design by Randall Dahlk and edited by Scott Dunbier, IDW
- Best Original Graphic Album: Scott Pilgrim Volume 6: Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour, Bryan Lee O'Malley, Oni Press
- Best Continuing or Limited Series: Love and Rockets: Volume 3, Jaime and Gilbert Hernandez, Fantagraphics
- Best Writer: Roger Langridge, Thor: The Mighty Avenger, Marvel Comics
- Best Artist: Darwyn Cooke, Richard Stark's Parker: The Outfit, IDW
- Best Cartoonist: Darwyn Cooke, Richard Stark's Parker: The Outfit, IDW
- Best Single Issue or Story: Daytripper, Fabio Moon and Gabiel Ba, Vertigo/DC Comics
- Dick Giordano Humanitarian of the Year Hero Award: Mike Gold
- Hero Initiative Lifetime Achievement Award: Stan Lee
Paul McSpadden, Harvey Awards Administrator, was also honored with an award commemorating his 24 years of service.
The Baltimore Comic-Con will host the Harvey Awards for the seventh year during the 13th annual show, taking place September 8-9, 2012.